Not Just-for-Kids Cookie Cupcakes
I made these for our going away party and they were quickly gobbled up! My friend Karen sent me this photo of her niece and nephew (Lucy and Evan) very seriously enjoying them.
The recipe is based on Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero’s “Cookies and Cream Cupcakes.” If you haven’t checked out their cookbook, “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World,” I highly recommend you do! This recipe makes 12 cupcakes. I think next time I would put a cookie on top for added flair and cookie flavor!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons almond milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies for crushing
- 12 vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies for topping
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Whisk the almond milk and vinegar together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Cut the cookies into small pieces.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cookies, and salt in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk the oil, almond milk mixture, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently until no large lumps remain.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To Make the Frosting:
- Crush the cookies into crumbs with the food processor or by putting them in a plastic bag and crushing them with a rolling pin or other heavy item.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or using a hand held mixer, cream together the margarine and shortening.
- Add the cocoa powder and beat until incorporated.
- Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with the almond milk until they have both been thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cookie crumbs.
- Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag and pipe generously onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a whole or broken cookie.