Rockin Elvis Pie
Every time I bite into a yummy peanut butter and banana something-rather, I thank Elvis for making such a fabulous combination famous! According to some, the peanut butter/banana combo is only ‘Elvis’ if it includes bacon. While you might be able to swing that on a sandwich, bacon pie for dessert doesn’t sound quite right to me.
But when my friend Wendy introduced me to a recipe on Epicurious, I only had to modify it slightly to create something sinfully delicious. This pie actually tastes lighter that it sounds and is easier to make than it looks. And with fruit and nuts in it, what a great way to get your daily vitamins and protein! (That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.) This recipe easily serves 10 people.
For the Crust:
- 6 ounces vanilla wafer cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Vanilla Layer:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the Banana Layers:
- 3 bananas
- juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
For the Peanut Butter Layer:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend cookies, butter, and sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles moist crumbs.
- Press mixture evenly into a 9 inch pie dish.
- Bake crust for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
To Make the Vanilla Layer:
- In a large saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt until no lumps remain.
- Graduallly whisk in cream and milk.
- Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until pudding boils and thickens, about 6 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Spread warm pudding in cooled crust.
- Chill until filling is cool, at least 1 hour.
To Make the Peanut Butter Layer:
- Beat cream in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Transfer to anothe bowl, set aside.
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Beat in vanilla and then peanut butter.
- Fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, a third at a time, set aside.
To Make the Banana Layers:
- Thinly slice the bananas.
- Combine bananas and orange juice in a small bowl and toss to coat.
- Arrange a layer of banana slices over the vanilla layer.
- Spread the peanut butter layer over the first banana layer.
- Arrange a second layer of banan slices over the peanut butter layer.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the pie.