Lovely Lemon Poppyseed Cranberry Muffins
These muffins rock! They are packed with delicious lemon flavor, sweet dried cranberries, and crunchy poppy seeds. On top of that they are light, fluffy, vegan, and easy to make! What more could you ask for on a Sunday morning? I like to prepare these the night before and then pop them in the oven when I wake up. I love the lemony aroma that fills the house!
I based this recipe on one of Sarah Kramer’s called “Hayley’s Lemon Cranberry Muffins.” This recipe yields 11 muffins. I’ve tried to make it yield 12, but they come out too short for my liking. If you don’t have vegan margarine, you can substitute vegetable oil.
For the Muffins:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
To Make the Muffins:
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Whisk together the flour, cranberries, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together the margerine (or oil), sugar, apple sauce, soymilk, and lemon extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, until 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top (or omit if you like your muffins less sweet).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.